Wednesday, May 20, 2009

These Things Are a Drag . . .

Remember Rocky Dennis from the movie "Mask?" I still have a hard time watching it, but in my mind, Rocky was one of the purest souls who ever walked this earth as well as one of the strongest. It's been a difficult day, but for some reason his "These Things Are a Drag" list popped into my head tonight:

"These things are good: ice cream and cake, a ride on a harley, seeing monkeys in the trees, the rain on my tongue, and the sun shining on my face. These things are a drag: dust in my hair, holes in my shoes, no money in my pocket, and the sun shining on my face. "

I have two freelance articles due in a few days, but I have to take a mental break for now. I'll make up my own list:

These Things are Good:
  • My wonderfully supportive husband
  • My beautiful, insanely intelligent daughter
  • My son, who is a very funny guy now that he's started talking
  • Starbucks
  • Good friends who let me sob my heart out over the phone when I need it
  • The roof over my head and food in my refrigerator
  • My one-eyed Chihuahua Odie who always gives me a snuggle when I need it
. . . and the sun shining on my face.

These Things are a Drag:
  • Watching my children experience physical or mental pain
  • Seeing my one-eyed Chihuahua run into furniture because he has no peripheral vision left
  • Being paralyzed by fear of the unknown and overhwelmed by anxiety
  • Not being able to let go of things I should
Anyone else?

No comments: