Monday, May 11, 2009

Deadline Approaching!

Oh, wait a minute. Which deadline am I talking about? Is it the deadline of Charlotte Parent, where we go to press next week for the June issue? Or is it the deadline of another article I have due in a few weeks? No, actually, I'm talking about yet ANOTHER deadline I'm thinking about trying to squeak under. The Writer's Digest 78th Annual Writing Competition closes on May 15, and I'm thinking of submitting a magazine feature article and maybe an entry in the memoir/personal essay categories if I can get my act together. The competition will award more than $30,000 in cash and prizes, including a Grand Prize of $3,000 cash and a trip to the Big Apple to meet with agents. Exciting! Check out their Web site for an official list of categories, rules and regulations.
I got a nice mention on the Gwendolyn Strong blog, where I interviewed dad Bill Strong for an iParenting "Dad of the Month" feature article last month. Bill and wife Victoria are probably the most amazing parents I've ever had the pleasure of being acquainted with, and you'll fall in love with the photos of their daughter Gwendolyn, who received a diagnosis of Spinal Muscular Atrophy while still an infant. Check out their story, and if you get a chance, sign their petition to cure SMA.

No comments: