Friday, November 30, 2007

Writing Something Nice

One of my new favorite writing blogs is Freelance Writing Jobs. Today, Deb Ng challenged everyone to say something nice this weekend. I think it's a great idea -- because too many times I come across writers being mean to each other in the blogosphere. What's up with that? I have a lot of nice things to say, and here's a few of them!

1. I've got a lot of great friends and acquaintances who always come through for me when I need sources. I swear my friend Christi needs to start up her own public relations firm in Lake Norman -- that woman knows everybody!

2. I've got a lot of great editors who toss fun assignments my way and then constructively critique me so I turn in my best work. I'm trying to improve my skills, really!

3. Lately I've been corresponding with a few other writers asking me for advice about the business. Really, little old me. It's very flattering and they probably didn't realize that when I start talking about writing, it's hard to get me to shut up. Thanks for listening, even when I probably gave you way too much information (is there such a thing)?

4. I'm always so impressed at how friendly the baristas over at Starbucks are. I once overheard one of them complaining because she had just made a drink for a guy who wouldn't get off his cellphone or acknowledge her during the entire transaction. Those people are my heroes. Ever since then I go out of my way to smile and be friendly. How much time does that really take? If I could do what they do I wouldn't be in there everyday. Give a little credit where credit is due. I know this isn't related to writing, really, but I wouldn't be able to write without coffee and I know I'm not alone in that!

Pay it forward. Say (or write) something nice this weekend. I dare you! Happy Friday!

No comments: