Friday, January 15, 2016

Chicken Soup for (This Writer's) Soul

Everyone needs a go-to comfort food. I have quite a few--homemade macaroni and cheese, chicken and dumplings, pizza, anything chocolate . . . the list goes on and on, really. When you work from home, it's not unusual to look up at 5:30 or 6 p.m. and wonder where in the world the afternoon went. As I rummaged around my pantry last night in search of something somewhat healthy to make for a quick dinner, I had an idea. I would try to make my own version of a childhood favorite dinner--the Campbell's Soup Chicken and Stars. It turned out great, the family cleaned their bowls, and I felt good having served up a delicious and low-cal dinner.


I posted a photo on Facebook and a few of my friends asked for the recipe. Here's what I gave them:

Ingredients: 
Two or three small chicken breasts
Two tbsp. olive oil
Four cups of water
32-oz. container of chicken broth
Three small carrots, peeled and diced
One clove of garlic
One cup of Simply Balanced Organic Stelline Pasta
Salt and pepper

Instructions: Dice the chicken and saute it with the olive oil and garlic until cooked through. In a separate medium-sized pot, bring the carrots to boil in the four cups of water. Add one cup of the pasta the container of chicken broth. One the carrots are soft and the pasta is cooked, add in the chicken and whatever seasoning you prefer. I like to add about one teaspoon of the 21 Season Salute from Trader Joe's to give it a little extra kick. Makes about six to seven small servings. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: