Monday, March 17, 2014

An Introvert's Look at Interviews

This past weekend, I sat back and thought about my career as a freelance writer up to this point. I started really getting more contract work in 2005, starting with articles and profiles for a local newspaper and then moving on to a national parenting website. Now I write mostly for websites and regional magazines. These articles require me to do a lot of interviews, which is kind of funny when you think about it, because I consider myself a pretty serious introvert. I get nervous anytime I have to pick up the phone and call a source or meet someone in person for an interview. I try to be prepared ahead of time, but it still doesn't erase the "stage fright" I get before each interview.

Luckily, my anxiety (usually) manages to pass and I can honestly say I enjoy meeting the new people I am assigned to write about--because I've met some truly amazing people and shared some really great stories. 

Today I offer a few tips on the art of perfecting the interview at WOW! Women on Writing's blog, The Muffin, where I often get to interview authors like Molly Harper, which is almost like not even working. Almost. I hope you'll stop by and check it out!

No comments: