Wednesday, October 8, 2014

What You Can Find on Your Hard Drive When You Really Go Looking . . .

If you're active at all on social media, you've probably heard about the importance of "curating content" for your blog, Twitter and Facebook feed, Pinterest, etc. It's something I've thought about quite a bit as I struggle with my own platform. Should I focus more on writing about pop culture? Do I need more blog posts about writing for children? Am I not posting enough book reviews?

But at the end of the day, I'm a writer, and I write many things. There was a time in my life when poetry was a favorite form. I need to put out a disclaimer here and say I've never formally studied poetry writing, and I don't' really follow any specific rules when I write it, but I've always felt the free verse is therapeutic for me. I've decided to start sharing more of my writing on this blog that hasn't been published anywhere and probably won't be anytime soon, such as flash fiction and poetry. Sharing my creative writing is always very hard for me, so hopefully this will get easier over time.



Autumn Calls, Once Again . . .

Fall brings a chill into the air

my hands

my stare

glazes somehow

as I reminisce about

this lost soul

kindergarten beauty queen

runner-up

that is

homecoming in

my long plaid dress

unable to escape the flowers

in my arms

deep in the heart of Texas

night sky.


Autumn Days II

Blessed is the spirit

that wanders down this

dusty road and

memories of blond-haired

All-American boys sometimes

drift in and out of my

Zephyr state of mind

tornado drills

my swing under the oak tree

playing 45s all day long

with Billy and Blondie while

they’re all on the playground

white lies and yet

precious young minds

are so fragile

on the railroad tracks . . .

No comments: