Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Confessions of a "Fault"-aholic

It's been awhile since I've been so excited about the movie adaptation of a book, but I'm officially giddy over the anticipation of the upcoming film "The Fault in Our Stars."

As always, I was a good year and half behind everyone else in reading John Green's book about two teens who meet and fall in love in a cancer support group. I kept hearing all the hype about the book, and thought to myself, "There's no way that's going to end well, so why should I even bother?"

I'm glad I bothered. I've read other books by John Green, but this one is by far my favorite, and it all has to do with the character of Augustus Waters. From the very first time he spoke in the book, I realized that Gus was the type of guy I had been searching for all through my teen and young adult years--a guy who could hold his own in a conversation and not say "huh?" when I used a word in a sentence that he had never heard before. I liked the book so much that I forced my husband (who does not read novels at all normally) to read it, and he finished it in two days.

It doesn't hurt that "The Fault in Our Stars" contains some of the wittiest dialogue I've seen in years, and I've read a lot of books. As I was reading the book on my Kindle, I found myself highlighting like crazy, and I'm so glad I did. Many of the lines I highlighted are used in the  movie and I was thrilled to see them in the movie trailer. Here are a few lines from the book that really caught my attention, and made me either laugh out loud, cry, or do both at the same time:

Kaitlyn: "Oh, I got over it, darling. It took me a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints and forty minutes to get over that boy."

Gus: "You are so busy being you that you have no idea how utterly unprecedented you are."

Hazel: "As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once."

You can find more great quotes from the movie on Pinterest.

And if I haven't convinced you by now to read the book and/or watch the movie, here is the extended movie trailer (you might want to grab a hankie first).

No comments: