Thursday, January 21, 2010

Freelance Writing Workshop

As part of the new LakeNormanMommies Learning Series, I'm offering a workshop on breaking into freelance writing at my home in Huntersville next Saturday, Jan. 30 at 2 p.m. Below are the details:

During this two-hour class (which includes coffee/snack time), you'll learn how to:
  • analyze the mastheads of local publications to see where writing opportunities are
  • brainstorm article ideas
  • find expert sources to quote in your articles
  • query a national publication
My writing credits include:
The Charlotte Observer
Lake Norman Currents
Charlotte Parent
Little Ones
Carolina Parent
Piedmont Parent
www.iParenting.com
Huggies Baby Network
Funds for Writers
The Writer

You can find more bio information on my web page, www.FinishedPages.com.
The class fee is $20 and a portion of the fee will be donated to LakeNormanMommies as a fundraiser. There will be door prizes, too, and great opportunities to connect with other creative LKNM moms! Contact me if you would like more information. We have 6 spots left in the class.

6 comments:

Kelli Robinson said...

Hi Renee!
I was curious about the workshop: Is it geared toward moms who want to become freelance writers, or moms who are freelance writers looking to take their work to the next level? Just trying to get a feel for the audience.

Great idea! Are you a member of LKNM?

Thanks!
Kelli Robinson
kelliwriter@hotmail.com

Renee Roberson said...

Hi Kelli,

Good to hear from you! This class is mostly geared toward writer moms exploring ways to make money from their writing . . . how to break into the business mostly. But hopefully I can put together a more intermediate level workshop soon that would be more beneficial to you. I am a member of LKNM -- a.k.a. writermom.

Kelli Robinson said...

Renee,

Hmmm, I'm still considering it. I'm having difficulties breaking into parenting magazines (Charlotte Parent doesn't seem interested in anything I submit!). And it's always good to network. I'm inclined to still come. Thoughts? Is it just for Lake Norman Mommies members (I'm not one)?

Thanks!
Kelli

Renee Roberson said...

Well, by all means join us! I'm sure you'll find some useful information. And I've got some good door prizes too. If you know anyone else who would be interested in coming, bring them too. I'll send you a confirmation and directions this week if you like.

Kelli Robinson said...

Renee,
Sounds good, I'd like to come. At the very least, it's an afternoon away from the kids with adult conversation...that I can deduct as professional development!

I'll look forward to receiving directions.

See you on Saturday @ 2.

Kelli

Anonymous said...

I read your post. Your concept is too good. and I also interested more information about your workshop. I still waiting your new post.If you had some way of rating posts I would for sure give you a high rating my friend!Virtual Assistant