Friday, December 5, 2008

Creatively Challenged

I'm afraid I'm rapidly reaching writer burn-out. I'm not sure what is going on lately, but I'm having the hardest time being creative. At work, I struggle to write catchy headlines and subheads. I can't seem to find a way to put a fresh angle on an "evergreen story." I'm starting to fear for my productivity in 2009 if I keep this up!

On the other hand, I keep an Excel spreadsheet with all my freelance assignments on it, broken out by month. I happened to start going over it the other day and was a little startled. Since January of this year, I've written:
  • So many blog posts in various places I've lost count
  • At least 24 parenting articles both online and print
  • About 4 pro bono articles for Little Blue World, including a celebrity interview with Perez Hilton where I got to talk to him on the phone!
So I guess I've been busy. And by the looks of it I won't be slowing down anytime soon. I just need to figure out how to take some kind of mental vacation (a physical one would be nice too) so I can recharge my creative batteries! How do you do it?

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

I think this happens to everyone. For me the running clears my head and allows me to regroup -- I just need to make it a more regular part of my life.

If your exercise regimen isn't helping you with this then maybe it is time for you to take a step back and spend a few days doing things for fun rather than for work.

Read the books you've been wanting to read. Write for yourself - because you want to not because you have to. Figure out want ignites your passion for writing and editing and seek it out to relight those fires!