Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Big Idea: A Healthier Writer


Photo courtesy of stock.xchng

During a discussion with my husband this past weekend, something dawned on me. Every spring, typically in March or April, I attempt some Herculean feat. For example, one year I decided I was going to get off my duff, hire a personal trainer, and lose 15 pounds, which I did. Another year I completed a half-marathon. Ouch! Last year I produced more than 60,000 pages of blood, sweat and tears (some might call it my first novel) during the month of March. Apparently my husband tries to mentally prepare himself for whatever big idea I have every year, and I am just now realizing that I've been doing this since before we got married 10 years ago. He was shocked that I hadn't come to this conclusion sooner.
Having put that out there, I am now feeling self-imposed pressure to come up with a good project again this year.
I know I must suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, because boy, do I get sad and slovenly during the winter months. And it's not like we live in Antarctica or anything. I just hate the shorter days and cold weather, and pretty much all I want to do is sit around in my velour pants, drink coffee, and sometimes attempt to pound away on my keyboard.
Today is March 1, and I'm feeling motivated. I definitely have about 10 pounds of winter weight I need to get rid of. And I have a strapless, form-fitting bridemaid's dress to squeeze into at the beginning of June so there's no time like the present. I decided that this month, I am going to attempt a blog challenge. Writers are notoriously known for being unhealthy, due to the pressure of deadlines, sitting in front of keyboards, and often reaching for one too many cups of coffee and muffins. I write a lot of fitness, health and nutrition articles which makes my situation all the more ironic.
So this month, I will be documenting my attempt to lose at least five pounds. I am challenging myself to exercise for at least 45 minutes a day, five days a week.
Anyone want to join me? I will be posting my results here each day that I exercise to hold myself accountable. I already took a break this morning and went on a 10-minute walk with my dog. Let's go!

Edited to add that I also did 40 minutes of core/strength training last night. Check!

No comments: