Monday, November 17, 2008

Free Verse



I'm tired and it's been a long day, so I think I'm just going to randomly scatter my thoughts into this post. Bear with me. I'll try to be grammatically correct but I just don't feel like worrying about what form this goes in right now! Maybe bullet points would make it easier to read:
  • Have you ever had a good idea for an article but didn't do anything about it? Then six months down the road, you see your article pop up in a national magazine with someone else's byline? It's happened to many times, most recently in the October issue of Self magazine. I thought of an article idea about how to unleash your creativity awhile back, and lo and behold, I came across it in last month's issue. It was a good read, and a good kick on the pants for me to get off my duff and start querying the nationals again!
  • I participated in the "Writer Mama Back-To-School Giveaway" in September, and Christina Katz recently named me one of the three most inspirational participants in the contest! She awarded us two signed copies of her books, and I'm chomping at the bit to begin reading her latest, "Get Known Before the Book Deal." I'll try and post a review of the book in the next few weeks!
  • I found a cool new blog over at Health.com called "Poked and Prodded." I especially love the posts written by parents of a child with a peanut allergy. I have a beautiful, completely huggable almost 3-year-old son with a peanut allergy and severe speech delay, and the author's words hit right home. I try to be positive for the most part, but having a son with such a serious food allergy who can't express it in potentially dangerous situations is enough to make my heart stop at times. It's something we battle daily, and I still marvel at the insensitivity other parents have towards it.

  • Looking for some new writing resources? I wrote a guest blog at Freelance Writing Jobs a few months ago as part of a contest, and while I didn't win, this post was a hit! Check it out when you get a chance.
  • It's been sort of a melancholy day. I plan to finish it up by doing a little yoga and strength training after the kids go to bed. Coldplay's "X&Y" album has been on repeat on the iPod today. Namaste!

No comments: