Wednesday, June 4, 2008

When You're The Only Employee . . .

Well, I think I know now why I feel so overwhelmed most of the time. I recently sat down and broke down all the individual tasks involved with being a freelance writer. When I first started sending out queries a few years ago I never dreamed things would get this involved. It was definitely eye-opening, and a little scary to say the least. My desk is a mess right now, and at the bottom of it is my list. My goal in the next week is to set up some sort of organizational plan, even if it means outsourcing a few things. Here is what I've come up with that I have to set up a system for:

  • Manage e-mail (I am horrible at this)
  • Setting up phone and e-mail interviews
  • Writing articles/following up with sources
  • Read favorite blogs and e-zines
  • Update my blogs
  • Update website
  • Prospecting/self-promtion/marketing
  • Work on national magazine queries
  • Administrative (filing expenses, mileage, invoicing, back-up files)
My fellow writers, how do you handle your day-to-day tasks without allowing them all to suck the creativity out of you? I'd really love to hear some of your tips!

2 comments:

Jane Smith said...

Great blog!

I only managed to write seriously once my children started school: at least I have 9-3 pretty much to myself.

Perhaps I should get a wife of my own, though, to help with all those organisational things. I'm sure one would be useful. Not sure what my husband would think, though.

Jane

Renee Roberson said...

I'll be working from about 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. this year as well and I can't wait. Hopefully I'll be more productive that way and won't have to work at night so much anymore.

I need to get me one of those wives too! Thanks for stopping by. Please come back soon:)