Monday, February 18, 2008

A Kid in a Candy Store

Yesterday my family trekked into Charlotte to visit the local Apple Store. I swear I'm like a kid in a candy store in that place. I picked up software packages for both my kids (they are four and two, mind you) but they both are already hooked on our MAC. My daughter has been asking us for a software called Kid Pix for awhile so we finally gave in. While browsing the shelves, I finally made the decision to purchase a writer's software package called Writer's Dreamkit. I figured it might finally give me the kick in the pants I needed to get my novel out of my head and onto paper. It's funny though, because several people who saw me holding the box stopped me and asked me if I was a writer. I was happy to report that I was, although not making a ton of money yet, but it has been rewarding so far!

The employee who helped me actually has a manuscript with an agent but she said she was sure it wouldn't get picked up. She wanted me to call her and let her know how the software worked, because it was a lot cheaper than hiring a book coach.

I sat down last night with my new toy and got my entire plot outlined. Next, I start working on character development. It's very exciting to see it finally coming along. I'm getting ready to interview a sleep expert in a few minutes for a parenting article, and then I'll head out to find a place to feature in my dining column this week. Last week was extremely busy but I somehow got through it.

I wrote a parenting article, a newspaper column, two newspaper articles, a blog column, and something else, but I can't remember what that was right now. This week should be a tad slower with only two assignments due, but I'm working on two others for next week.

So, what are you up to this week?

No comments: