Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Celebrating a Love of Children's Books

My kids' school has an annual Parade of Fiction, where the students (and teachers!) in the elementary school all dress up as characters from children's books. I'm going to be honest and confess that earlier this week, I was lamenting the upcoming parade. After all, each year, the Parade of Fiction requires us to put together not one, but two different costumes for each child--one for school and another for Halloween. I'm also not very crafty, but luckily my husband usually comes through with the creative elements necessary for some of the costumes.

But this morning, watching the parade, I took in the fact that it will be my daughter's last year in the parade, as she heads off to middle school (sniff!) next year. I am now thankful for all my memories of the Parade of Fiction, the opportunity to embrace the love of children's books (a passion of mine) and for photos such as the ones below. Dr. Seuss truly had it right. "Oh, the places you will go."

Pinkalicious from Kindergarten

The solar system (class theme) from second grade



















Raina Telgemaier from Smile



















Jack and the Beanstalk from first grade




















Flat Stanley from second grade



















 Rodrick from the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and Annabeth from The Lightning Thief, third and fifth grades.

No comments: