Sunday, May 18, 2014

In the (Freelancing) Field

I watch a lot of crime shows, and I always love when the agents say they are out "in the field." Sometimes my work as a freelance writer takes me out in the field, too, although it's much different in my case. I'm usually not out there covering hard news but meeting with people for human interest profiles.

This past week I was working on a local article about families with unusual pets. I met with a family that runs a business presenting wildlife encounters to local schools and the community. I got to meet their enormous animal family, and it was such a great experience. It really helps a story come alive when I get to meet with the people (or in the case, animals!) I'm writing about in person. This family has probably more than 25 animals from varying species. Remember the blue Macaws from the movie "Rio?" I got up close and personal with a red Macaw, who had gorgeous rainbow-colored feathers but was a little hesitant to show off for me. I also got to meet four very sweet and sassy female Italian greyhounds (can I get one now?), two degas (cousins of the chinchillas), two chinchillas, a Blue Tongue Skink, an Argentinian Tegu and an Emperor Scorpion from Africa. Who do you think this girl was most afraid of? If you guessed the scorpion, you would be right. I grew up in Texas and never had a friendly encounter with a scorpion, so I was too hesitant to hold it.

All in all I had a great experience and I feel like the extra time I took meeting this family really added some color and descriptive details to my article.

Have you been on any interesting assignments lately?

No comments: