Tuesday, April 2, 2013

You Can Turn Vacations into Assignments


The marina at Harbour Town at Hilton Head Island

I'm going to start this post off by saying that it has been WAY too long since I've had a vacation. One of the drawbacks of self employment is that the line between your personal life and work life often gets blurred. I'm not complaining, really. I love my life and am very happy to have a flexible schedule. But when you go six months without going any further than a short drive to visit relatives for a holiday meal, one can start to lose her mind.

So I am happy to report that later this week, I will be visiting a coastal town in Georgia that I've never been to before. I can taste the fruity drink with a tropical umbrella already! The rich history of Savannah also awaits. But that being said, because of my profession, I always try to take advantage of any fun trips we take because I can possibly cash in on them in the future. I hold on to all my receipts for the museums we visit and restaurants we eat it and always make sure to take my camera. I typically focus on looking at the "family-friendly" angle of a travel destination, and some examples of ways I've turned vacations into assignments are as follows:


So the next time you take a trip, even if it is just a visit to an aquarium with your children or a fun girls' getaway, take your camera and your notepad. I guarantee you'll be inspired by something, and might even be able to sell an assignment later that will pay for your entire trip!

No comments: