Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Letting the Words Fall Where They May

There are words inside of me that are calling to be released. I've kept them in my mind for too long. They keep me awake at night. They are a multitude of stories, childhood experiences, spiritual awakenings and realizations. They are fragments of songs that play inside my head daily.
There are different places for all these words. I struggle as I try to figure out where they all fit. My big resolution for 2010 is to actually make progress on my novel. I've realized that I'm afraid to write fiction. I think it's because every word that comes from me is personal and steeped in reality. But I must let go of that fear and see where I end up. These characters deserve to find their place in the world. They are beautiful and unique, and I love each and every one of them.
A few years ago I won a beautiful leather-bound journal in a contest. Very simply on the front, these words are engraved:
"If you wish to be a writer, write."
I carried this journal with me yesterday and wrote as I waited for my son to complete his speech therapy session. I couldn't believe how easily my character's story began pouring out. Maybe I have to take a more organic approach to putting this piece of work together. Later I can transfer these words onto my computer, but for now I feel free and ready to take flight. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Tiffani Hill-Patterson said...

I'm glad you're finding it easier to get the words on paper. I love that quote from Brenda Ueland, "Be Bold, Be Free, Be Truthful."

I look forward to reading more!

Renee Roberson said...

Thanks Tiffani! Next up, mapping out a writing schedule for both assignments and fiction. Yeah, I should probably have come up with one of those a long time ago, right??