Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Things That Get Published . . .

I'm a magazine junkie. If you know me at all, you know this. I'll look at any magazine that comes my way at least once, as I consider it all research for future article ideas and queries. But I recently received a local publication in my mailbox that stopped me in my tracks. First of all, I'll say the masthead font (and some of the title) is a complete rip-off of a very well-known national publication. But I'd really like to focus this rant on the editor's letter. Here are a few sentences that struck me in particular:
  • As the editor of [magazine to remain nameless], it is my hope that the articles, help full tips and vivid pictures in [magazine name] will inspire you to plant your own garden or tackle some of those home improvement projects you may have been putting off.
  • This months issue was a lot of fun.
  • The Historic Society is a tremendous resources; however, if you know of any hidden gems I'd love to hear about them.
There were a few more errors, but those are the main ones that caught my eye. I expect to see these types of mistakes in blogs or Web sites with self-publishing models, but a free publication that is mailed to local residents, and has the support of local advertisers? Someone needs a good copy editor.

No comments: