Monday, October 29, 2007

Persistence Pays Off

I knew the world of freelance was competitive, but I never fully understood to what extent until this past year. That's when I started realizing I could make a living doing this if I put my mind to it. I pestered my husband to let me convert our formal living room into a home office (I'll post pictures in a future post) and got some new computer equipment when a crash threatened to destroy hundreds of dollars of work in one day.

This past month, I started aggressively searching all the freelance job boards and applying to various positions. I kept track of my submissions on my assignments spreadsheet. For the month of October, I've applied for eleven different jobs on top of my existing clients. I got the job at 451 Press within twenty-four hours, made the finals (but wasn't hired) for another blogging job, had my application put on hold for possible hiring in early 2008 for a different blog, and today . . . landed an assignment with Greater Charlotte Biz magazine. So I guess persistence does pay off.

I need to keep up the persistence even more now because we finally got the family SUV of our dreams this past weekend. Every time I get behind the wheel, I tell myself the following: "Must make enough to pay for this. Must make enough to pay for this."

I'm tired. It's been a long and busy month. Take care!

No comments: